Nicholson’s Cambrian Traveller’s Guide – Bangor-on-Dee
3rd Edition 1840

BANGOR ISCOED, or BANGOR IN MAELOR, is situated in a detached part of Flintshire, 3 m. N.E. of Overton, on the banks of the Dee, which here passes under a bridge of five arches. It contains 1389 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, the church dedicated to St. Dunawd, principal of the monastery when Augustine arrived. The fort is very ancient. A parochial free school was founded here in 1728 by Lady Dorothy J. Grey, widow of the chief justice of that name. From a few hundred yards below the bridge, a beautiful landscape is presented, including the river, bridge, and the tower of the church, rising above a clump of trees. This place is famed on account of having been the site of the most ancient monastery in the kingdom, founded by Lucius, or LIes ab Coel, first Christian king of Britain, sometime previous to the year 180. From this establishment it obtained its British name Ban-Cor, superior choir. This celebrated college was remarkable for its valuable library, and its number of manuscripts and learned men. Gildas Nennius, a disciple of Elvod, who lived in the 7th century, and wrote in Latin an incorrect history of Britain, yet extant, was one of the abbots. According to Speed, the monastery of Bangor, in the year 596, contained not less than 2400 monks, 100 of which passed in their turns one hour of devotion. Leland asserts that bones of the monks and fragments of their clothes have been ploughed up. This place appears also to have been the site of Banchorium of Richard of Cirencester, and is supposed to have been the Bovium of Antonine. Roman pavements are occasionally found, but there are no remains either of the monastery or city. The scenery is in many places beautiful and richly picturesque; the noble sweeps of the Dee are frequently overshadowed by thick hanging woods, which fringe its elevated banks.

Inn.-George and Dragon.
To Overton, 3 miles ; thence to Ruabon, 7 miles. Pennant; Bingley.